Tuesday, March 25, 2014

25 Jan. 2014 - Observations

Because I was not able to make it to the Stargaze, I did my own observations. I did them with my girlfriend at her grandmother's house which is out in the more wooded area of North Port, so light pollution was not a problem. The first object that was easily noticeable and almost right over head was Orion. From there I utilized the winter star chart and star-hopping technique to locate Lepus, Columba, Canis Major, Monoceros, Canis Minor, Gemini, Auriga, and Taurus. Constellations that I located without star-hopping were Ursa Major and Eridanus. The brightest stars that I was able to correctly identify were Betelgeuse, Bellatrix, Saiph, Rigel, Sirius, Procyon, Capella, Castor, Pollux, Polaris and Aldebaren. Jupiter, located in Gemini, out shined all of these stars combined. From what I remember, the Moon was a waning crescent. Other notable things I identified were the Pleiades, the Hyades, and the Horse head Nebula. I attempted to teach my significant other all of the other miscellaneous items in each of the constellations but the only thing she seemed to remember well was that Orion "fights" Taurus.

Hours spent observing: 1.5

No comments:

Post a Comment